How to use Konjac Sponge
Rinse and soak the dry Konjac Sponge with warm water until fully softened and expanded. A wet sponge expands approximately one and half size compared to the dry one. For first time use, the sponge might take up to 15 minutes of soaking until it becomes soft.
Soaking it with hot or warm water rather than cold water will help making the texture of the sponge softer. Cleanse your face with water-soaked sponge daily or every other day. Alternatively, combine it with your favorite cleanser to make the sponge even softer and to create a rich lather for an incredibly therapeutic experience.
Gently massage your face with the sponge starting from center of face and extend outwards in an upward direction. This produces a lifting effect to shape face for a slimmer silhouette and avoid sagging skin. Alternatively, gently massage the face with the sponge in circular motion. Please avoid harsh rubbing on acne area and around eye area.
Rinse the sponge with clean water. Using clean hands, press the sponge gently in between palms to drain water out. DO NOT twist, stretch or press the sponge too hard as it may damage the sponge. If you have long nails, please do not squeeze/poke the sponge too hard as it may tear the sponge and cause it to fall apart.
Hang the sponge in a well-ventilated area to dry it. Do not expose the sponge to direct sunlight and do not leave the sponge in humid place i.e. poorly ventilated bathroom or faucet area. Alternatively, keep the sponge in a container and store it in a refrigerator.
Replace sponge every 4-6 weeks for the best cleansing experience.
How to care Konjac Sponge
Just like any bath products or other sponges, a personal care is needed to avoid bacteria buildup and prevent molds formation.The Japanese Konjac Sponge does not contain any bactericide and fungicide; however, molds can be prevented by keeping the sponge dry after each use or store it inside a sealed container in a refrigerator (this also works for many bath products). If you don’t want to replace your sponge as frequently, try one of these ideas to care the sponge:
- Keep it dry (standard care): For first time use, soak the dry Konjac sponge with WARM water approximately 15 minutes until it fully expanded. Before using it, remove the excess water by gently pressing the sponge between palms of your hands. Then, use the sponge to cleanse your face either with or without soap (or any of your favorite cleanser). Do not twist or squeeze the sponge too hard as it might damage the sponge. After use, rinse your sponge with clean running water to ensure no soap particles / residuals left. Remove excess water by gently pressing the sponge between palms of your hands. Hang the sponge in a well-ventilated area to dry it. Do not leave the sponge in damp/humid place.
- Keep it cold inside a refrigerator (alternative care): If you do not have a dry place to hang the sponge after use or humid free environment, this is a recommended method to store your sponge. After use, rinse the sponge as mentioned on the standard care above. Then, store the sponge inside a refrigerator in a sealed container or ziploc bag.
- Soak in the hot water: To disinfect the sponge, soak the sponge in a hot (not boiling) water for about three to five minutes. Do not use boiling water as it may deform the sponge due to its natural vegetable fiber characteristic. Carefully drain the water and let it cools off before handling or removing the excess water, then hang it to dry. This method can be done once in a while as needed.
- Heat in the microwave (LAST RESORT ONLY): To sanitize the sponge, place a WET sponge in a bowl full of water, then microwave it for 1 minute while monitoring it. Never microwave dry or slightly damp sponge. Carefully remove the sponge or simply leave it for few minutes until it cools off. Do not squeeze the sponge right away as it will be very hot and can cause burns. Once cool, rinse it with running water then follow item #1 above (Keep It Dry). **Note: Only do this method as the last resort to sanitize the sponge because it may damage the sponge if not done properly.**
**Tips to Lengthen Your Konjac Puffs/Sponges Life: For daily use, soak the sponge with WARM water first. For best result, mix 50% of room temperature water with 50% of hot water inside a small container before use. After use, always rinse and drain the water from the sponge, then hang it to dry in non-humid area.
With proper care, normally the Japanese Konjac Sponge can last approximately 4 to 6 weeks. Please use extra care when handling hot water or sponge when sanitizing it. Once your sponge starts to disintegrate, change it with a new fresh one to obtain its maximum benefits!
- Our own experiences using them daily :)